St Hilda Cowcliffe
Our local newspaper The Huddersfield Examiner once described St Hilda’s as the "Church with a View". The building – erected in 1850 – is neatly tucked in to Cowcliffe on the bend in Netheroyd Hill Road. From the Church Door you can see right across the town- and even out to Emley Moor mast. From the exterior the church has more of a school appearance because it was originally to serve to educate the ‘poor of Cowcliffe’ as well as providing a place of worship in the village!
The building has served the local community now for 163 years who are are proud to call St Hilda's "their church".
This summer (2017) we are embarking on a new and exciting journey with our Sunday service moving to an early evening slot at 5.00pm. As well as services of Holy Communion, we will be able to offer "Songs of Praise" services and other more informal acts of worship.
We run a Luncheon Club for the seniors of our village who live alone. Food is cooked on the premises and diners have a 2 course meal and a cuppa as well as time to enjoy good company and fellowship.
We run a monthly Book Club – for anyone who enjoys a good read; members take it in turns to choose a book and lead a discussion the following month; the group have tackled a variety of styles of reading – and there is always plenty of sharing over a cuppa!
Our aim is to try to live out a ‘Christ Like’ life in care and service in our local community – but also being mindful of the needs of people in other countries. We hope we are keeping the Christian presence in our community alive and enjoy welcoming new members who want to join our journey of discovery.